About the role
As a WordPress Developer at Uncanny Owl, you will build new features, improve existing code, squash bugs, and help us grow and refine our plugins.
You will be primarily working on the product team for our LearnDash plugins, the most popular free and premium add-ons for LearnDash.
To succeed in this role, here’s the type of person you are:
- You’re a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through from conception to completion. Our developers often "own" features/tasks and are responsible for scoping, development, and testing.
- You're an excellent communicator, fluent in both verbal and written English, who makes sure nothing slips through the cracks. We believe communication is critical and there is no such thing as over communicating.
- You have the curiosity and desire to learn and grow your skills.
- You're passionate about leaving your mark on the web for all to see and are excited to work on tasks that will eventually impact millions of users.
- You take pride in the quality and craftsmanship of your work rather than just doing it to get it done.
- You're a team player who is comfortable working alongside and helping other developers, and you don't take critical feedback personally.
- You're an expert in back-end technologies, but happy tackling tasks which require both back-end and front-end expertise.
- You're happy working on tasks of all sizes - from small bug fixes and enhancements to large features/rewrites.
Common responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Scoping, writing, and testing new product features and addons.
- Triaging bugs and small enhancements.
- Refactoring legacy code with a particular attention to backwards compatibility.
- Providing feedback and peer review for other developers (GitHub PRs).
Here are some skills that will come handy:
- Professional experience with WordPress plugin development, architecture, and standards.
- Advanced proficiency with PHP and MySQL, including WordPress coding standards and modern PHP practices (OOP, autoloading, namespacing, traits, interfaces, etc).
- Familiarity with package managers such as Composer and NPM.
- Experience working with the WordPress REST API.
- Experience with TDD and writing PHP unit tests.
- Competent with version control using git.
- The ability to iterate and ship ideas quickly.
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to keep complex ideas and features simple. (Simplicity is a core value!)
- Previous freelance or remote work experience.
Bonus points if you also have:
- Experience developing add-ons for LearnDash.
- Experience with direct customer support.
- A decent UI/UX design sense.
- Ability to use and extend build tools like gulp and webpack.
- Experience building large commercial WordPress plugins with high install counts.
What we offer
Working for a fast-growing bootstrapped company is a rare opportunity, one we consider a lifestyle choice rather than a job choice. Our positions are challenging, but also come with amazing advantages and fulfillment to those who earn them. Here’s what we offer.
- Competitive salary.
- Health expense benefits for full-time Canadian employees.
- Work from your home. We’re spread out all over the world – Canada, Greece, the Philippines, Pakistan and more.
- We give you the opportunity to solve challenging and meaningful problems that make a difference.
- We cover all costs of company travel (including our annual all-company retreat).
- Ability to work with some of the best people in the business through frequent, if not daily, interactions.
If all of this sounds interesting, then please submit your application!
How to Apply?
Please submit your application below. Make sure you answer all interview questions; applicants with missing answers will be disqualified.
Also note, don't forget to proofread before submitting. Check spelling, capitalization, etc. This is your chance to make your application stand out :) We won’t be able to individually respond to all applications, but if we feel you’re a strong match, someone will be in touch shortly. Qualified candidates will be asked to do a simple code challenge. Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you!
This job has now closed
You can find more jobs over on our careers page.
See More Jobs