About the role
As a WordPress Developer at Uncanny Owl, you will build infrastructure to create new features, improve existing code, squash bugs, and help us rapidly scale our platform.
You will be primarily working on our product team for Uncanny Automator, the most popular automation plugin for WordPress.
To succeed in this role, here’s the type of person you are:
- You’re a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through from conception to completion. Our developers often "own" features/tasks and are responsible for scoping, development, and testing.
- You're an excellent communicator, fluent in both verbal and written English, who makes sure nothing slips through the cracks. We believe communication is critical and there is no such thing as over communicating.
- You have the curiosity and desire to learn and grow your skills.
- You're passionate about leaving your mark on the web for all to see and are excited to work on tasks that will eventually impact millions of users.
- You take pride in the quality and craftsmanship of your work rather than just doing it to get it done.
- You're a team player who is comfortable working along side and helping other developers, and you don't take critical feedback personally.
- You're an expert in front-end technologies, but happy jumping between front-end and back-end development tasks, or tackling tasks which require both.
- You're happy working on tasks of all sizes - from small bug fixes and enhancements to large features/rewrites.
Common responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Scoping, writing, and testing new product features and addons.
- Triaging bugs and small enhancements.
- Refactoring legacy code with a particular attention to backwards compatibility.
- Providing feedback and peer review for other developers (GitHub PRs).
Here are some skills that will come handy:
- Professional experience with WordPress plugin development, architecture, and standards.
- Advanced proficiency with PHP and MySQL, including modern PHP practices (OOP, autoloading, namespacing, traits, interfaces, etc).
- Ability to use and extend build tools like gulp and webpack.
- Familiarity with package managers such as Composer and NPM.
- Experience working with the WordPress REST API and third-party APIs (Eg Google, Zapier, MailChimp, etc).
- Experience with TDD and writing PHP unit tests.
- Competent with version control with git.
- The ability to iterate and ship ideas quickly.
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to keep complex ideas and features simple. (Simplicity is a core value!)
- Previous freelance or remote work experience.
Bonus points if you also have:
- UI/UX design chops
- Experience with DevOps or infrastructure management.
What we offer
Working for a fast-growing bootstrapped company is a rare opportunity, one we consider a lifestyle choice rather than a job choice. Our positions are challenging, but also come with amazing advantages and fulfillment to those who earn them. Here’s what we offer.
- Competitive salary.
- Health expense benefits for full-time Canadian employees.
- Work from your home. We’re spread out all over the world – Canada, Argentina, India, and Pakistan.
- We give you the opportunity to solve challenging and meaningful problems that make a difference.
- We cover all costs of company travel (including our annual all-company retreat).
- Ability to work with some of the best people in the business through frequent, if not daily, interactions.
If all of this sounds interesting, then please submit your application!
How to Apply?
Please submit your application below. Make sure you answer all interview questions; applicants with missing answers will be disqualified.
Also note, don't forget to proofread before submitting. Check spelling, capitalization, etc. This is your chance to make your application stand out :) We won’t be able to individually respond to all applications, but if we feel you’re a strong match, someone will be in touch shortly. Qualified candidates will be asked to do a simple code challenge. Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you!