Senior WordPress Developer
Ready to apply your creative solutions and rockstar coding skills to building next-generation WordPress products and platforms? Uncanny Owl helps small businesses, schools and non-profits all over the world build engaging learner experiences with WordPress, but we're rapidly expanding beyond learning and applying our expertise to a revolutionary new product (currently under development) that has the potential to make an even bigger impact on the global WordPress community. As part of our team, you'll help create these products and online training platforms that will have a positive impact on potentially millions of users.
We’re looking for someone with strong WordPress development experience to build complex WordPress plugins, as well as robust features for high-volume WordPress membership, ecommerce and elearning sites. This job requires close collaboration with our project managers, front end developers and, in some cases, clients and end users.
Extensive WordPress development experience is a must, especially on complex membership and ecommerce sites. We will only consider candidates with sufficient experience and a portfolio of work that we can review.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Collaborate with project managers to articulate the best technological business solution for a given problem
- Work with a team of developers to deliver on time and within budget
- Architect and develop broadly compatible plugins, features, and bug fixes with consideration for accessibility, performance, and multilingual installations
- Write high quality code with readability, efficiency and maintainability in mind (documentation and unit tests)
- Develop and maintain complex WordPress plugins and sites
- Implement complex features using modern PHP code and patterns while following WordPress standards
- Code review the work of other developers
- Improve internal tools, libraries and standards
- Work with the team to diagnose and resolve bugs and support requests
Qualifications and Skills
- Extensive experience developing complex WordPress features and plugins
- Extensive experience working on WordPress membership and eCommerce sites
- Expertise in crafting modern, object-oriented PHP
- Comprehensive understanding of what it takes to write secure and performant code
- Proven expertise of Object Oriented principles, software development life cycle, and development best practices
- Experience working with automated testing frameworks
- Experience with continuous integration and automated deployment pipelines
- Unit testing experience
- Understanding of RESTful Web Services technologies such as JSON, SOAP, and HTTP
- Experience using git with a team
- Agile Development experience
Our projects range from complete site builds from the ground up to implementation of new features and functionality on already-live sites. We have many projects on the go simultaneously and as such, a high level of multitasking and collaboration with other team members is essential.
Our team is based in Toronto but everyone works remotely. We are considering candidates outside of Toronto but you must be based in Ontario.